I know many of you are BBQ’ing to celebrate this holiday and while you are enjoying the outdoor celebrations, think about these ways to ‘green’ your Fourth of July this weekend and future picnics this summer.
1. Stay locally for your celebration – I’m sure there are tons of celebration going on this weekend around your neighborhood. Check your local Park and Recreation Department for fireworks and concerts. You don’t have to drive too far for entertainment and celebration.
2. Buy local – stop by that farmer’s market you’ve been wanting to try for fresh, locally grown produce and meats…preferably vegetables and fruits for grilling and not so much the meats.
3. Use reusable products as much as you can – use biodegradable utensils and recycled paper napkins for picnics. Better yet, use reusable utensils and cloth napkins.
4. Use stainless steel bottles instead of buying those plastic water bottles.
5. Use chemical free insect repellents. Try lavender essential oils or tea tree oils as insect repellents on your skin.
6. Reuse. Reduce. Recycle.