I hate going to the dentist like going to my car mechanic. When my car mechanic tells me I need a new “timing belt” on my car, I wonder, “What’s a timing belt, and why do I need it?”. Similarly, I have no idea if I really do have a cavity as I try to squint to see a tiny opaque spot my dentist is pointing out on the computer monitor. I’d have to hallucinate on something illegal to notice anything on the screen, let alone agree that yes, I see the cavity as clear as a day. And in order to avoid that apprehensive feeling every time I visit him, I follow the daily ritual to brush, rinse, and floss religiously.
But I have a problem with fluoride and all the chemicals that are in dental products. If I am putting all that junk in my mouth, three times a day, imagine how much chemicals I’m ingesting inadvertently. And how about my kids ingesting all that? I don’t trust that every ingredient in dental products is safe.
So, I use all natural dental products. But I have to admit; they all taste awful initially. I got used to most of them but not mouth rinses. I couldn’t get used to the syrupy, and medicinal taste of natural mouth rinses. My husband hates them too so he uses Listerine. Gah~. My kids don’t use the rinses at all and I have the dental bills to prove it. Sigh.
So when The Natural Dentist contacted me to review their products, I jumped on the opportunity. I chose their Fluoride and SLS Free Toothpaste and Antigingivitis Mouth Rinse to test. Oh, there are other products but since I don’t want fluoride or SLS, I chose those two. Before I started using them, I did some research so let me tell you a little background on the company…
The Natural Dentist was created by a dentist who wanted to provide all natural, effective oral care products for his patients. This thirteen year-old oral care company is dedicated to using only natural ingredients that are powerful and clinically proven to be effective. I sometimes feel I have to compromise effectiveness with natural ingredients but this company has products that are natural but also proven to be effective without using harsh chemicals, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, dyes or preservatives. They only use minerals found in nature and plant based whiteners and cleansers. I liked what I found in my research.
With that in mind, I used the Fluoride Free Toothpaste and Antigingivitis Mouth Rinse every day for over a month now and let me just say that it is far better than the brand I was using before. These are the reasons why I love both.
- Fluoride-free: a controversial chemical that may or may not help with cavity prevention but does have side effects
- No Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: detergent and foaming agent that makes you think it’s working but has a drying effect and sensitivity issues in some people. FYI…Dishwashing liquids and other detergents also contain SLS.
- Active Ingredients Peppermint and Sage Oils are derived from natural plants and they help to prevent gingivitis and reduce plaque
- Natural flavor: continues to taste very refreshing hours after I brush my teeth and what’s better – eating breakfast doesn’t make my mouth taste yucky after brushing teeth.
- No artificial ingredients: need I say more?
- No box: this reduces packaging material and waste but the tube opening is sealed and there’s no problem of product tampering in transit. You know how big I am on reducing excess packaging but not compromising safety of products.
You can read the full list of all natural ingredients for the toothpaste and the rinse on their website but the key Active Ingredients are Peppermint and Sage Oils (have antigingivitis and plaque preventing properties) and all the inactive ingredients are natural and plant based. I love the fact that they are transparent about all their ingredients and they spell out each ingredient, where they come from and what they do.
Toothpaste – you know the toothpaste taste that lingers in your mouth after brushing your teeth but the freshness feeling goes away just as soon you walk out of the bathroom? I didn’t get that with this toothpaste. My breath felt fresh hours after I brushed my teeth. My mouth didn’t feel dry either, and I’m guessing it’s because it doesn’t’ contain SLS.
Antigingivitis Mouth Rinse – as I said before, I don’t use mouth rinses as often as I should because of the awful taste of natural mouth rinses. And the strong flavors of regular mouth rinses made my mouth sting so I stopped using those. I always equated that strong flavor with effectiveness but apparently, that’s not the case. The Natural Dentist’s Antigingivitis Mouth Rinse doesn’t make my mouth hurt while I’m using it and since there’s no alcohol or SLS, my mouth doesn’t dry out afterwards.
So what’s my rating for the Natrual Dentist’s Antigingivitis Mouth Rinse and Fluoride Free Toothpaste? Five green hearts.
You can find The Natural Dentist products everywhere including supermarkets like Stop and Shop and drug stores like CVS pharmacy. You can check here to find out where you can find their products.
The Natural Dentist is generous enough to give two (2) of my readers chances to try their products in a giveaway.
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- The giveaway is open to everyone, over 18 years old, within US and it ends at 11:59 PM EST on Friday December 11, 2009.
- Two winners will be chosen at random, generated by a random.org, and will be announced on Saturday, December 12, 2009.
- No purchase is necessary is to enter the giveaway.
- There is no limit as to how many times you can enter. Each comment is one entry.
- SRP is $12 for the toothpaste and rinse and each winner will have a choice of two (2) products to choose from the Natural Dentist.
- The Natural Dentist will send the prize directly to the winner.
Here is how you can enter and please only leave me a comment related to this product and giveaway:
- Visit the Natural Dentist and leave me a comment what other product you would like to try if you won.
- Follow the Natural Dentist on Twitter
- Be a fan of the Natural Dentist on facebook
- Sign up for the Natural Dentist’s coupons.
- You can also enter by tweeting about the giveaway! Please use @ecokarenlee so that I know you tweeted
- Blog about this giveaway. If you do not have a blog then you can post on any social media instead. (Facebook, MySpace, etc.)
- Subscribe by e-mail to my blog or if you already are a subscriber, let me know.
- Add me as a friend or fan on Facebook (see the sidebar on the left for the button)
- Follow me on Twitter (see the sidebar on the left for the button)
- Grab my button and put it on your blog.
Good luck and remember two (2) of you will have a chance to choose two (2) of the Natural Dentist products.