I’ll get to the point.
I HATE shampoo and conditioner bottles. They clutter my bathroom and they create so much plastic waste. So when I noticed people talking about shampoo bars on various forums and blogs, I was intrigued.
How great is using up something and there’s no waste left afterwards? I cringe every time I have to throw out those unrecycalable shampoo and conditioner bottles because I know they are going to my town’s incinerator and will be burned, spewing tons of toxins and polluting the air. And in some towns, they will end up in landfills….for hundreds of years, if not longer, or get washed away to the ocean, hundreds of miles away.
You get the picture.
So when I commented about it on facebook, Herban Lifestyle sent me a sample of its Deeply Herbal Shampoo Bar to try. The fact that it’s made with only organic herbs and essential oils and there is no waste packaging, were just the perfect reasons I needed try this new funky way of washing my hair.
Shampoo, not out of the bottle?
I admit. I was reluctant, at first, to rub the hard bar of soap against my scalp. Shampooing and washing my hair has always been a relaxing experience for me. I mean, the two minutes I get, to myself, is spent massaging my scalp in a soothing motion. So to rub this hard bar of soap against my scalp didn’t seem like a luxurious to me.
But then, I tried Herban Lifestyle’s Deeply Herbal Shampoo Bar as soon as it came and I was pleasantly surprised. Yeah, I wouldn’t lie to you. Rubbing a hard bar of soap on my scalp, at first, was not sensuous or soothing. But, once I got the lather going with just a few stroke on my scalp, I used my finger tips to massage my scalp and wash my hair like I normally do. And I was very surprised at how sudsy the shampoo bar was. Like I said, I didn’t need to rub that much but it was enough for my thick hair to get all lather up. I had to look very closely at the ingredient list, on line, when I was done to make sure that it didn’t contain synthetic chemicals because it lathered up so nicely. And I was relieved to find out that it didn’t. It only has organic oils and herbs. Score!
And when I rinsed my hair, the hair was so squeaky clean but not dry. In fact, my coarse, straight as horse tail, hair was really soft, as if I used conditioner. And this was great because I am too lazy to use conditioner but now, I didn’t even need conditioner! Awesome!
So is it economical?
On thing I noticed about the shampoo bar is that since it’s hard, it doesn’t ‘melt’ on my soap dish. The sample size was a generous size – about twice the size of a hotel soap – and I still have almost the whole bar after ten washings. So I asked the owner, Mary, how long does a bar last. She said, the full size bar should last more than 48 single washes for average length hair. Sorry Mary, but I think you are wrong. I have shoulder length hair and I can see it lasting me about two months. It is definitely cheaper than my $8 organic shampoo that I usually buy. And there’s no waste of dripping shampoo onto the tub floor, that sometimes happens to me. OK, I’m human. So with this bar, I’ll be able to just use what I need without wasting it by dripping shampoo onto the tub floor.
What’s in it?
According to the website, Deeply Herbal Shampoo Bar contains:
Ingredients: Olea europaea (Olive) Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil**, Ricinus communis (Castor) Oil*, Aqua (Purified Water), Sodium Hydroxide, Essential Oil of Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary)*, Essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender)*, Rosemary Extract**USDA Certified Organic**Fair Trade and organic
What makes it so sudsy? The Coconut and Castor Oil
No synthetic chemicals at all! How great is that?
The BEST Part!
I LOVED the shampoo bar from Herban Lifestyle. Can you tell? I don’t have to lug the empty plastic shampoo bottles to the garbage and feel guilty for adding trash to be incinerated. Now, all I do is, recycle the paper that the shampoo is wrapped in. Oh, and the fragrant scent was just enough for me NOT to gag. I hate those strong smelling shampoos that gets to my olfactory nerves. But this shampoo was just faintly fragrant enough for me to feel refreshed and pretty without the over powering scent.
There’s nothing not to like about this shampoo. No waste. Beautiful result. And safe ingredients for my skin and hair. (I am secretly wishing that it will turn my grey hair into my pre-middle aged black hair. A girl can wish, couldn’t she?)
Giveaway is CLOSED
I loved the shampoo so much that I asked Herban Lifestyle if she can offer a giveaway and she said, “Of course!” for my readers. She is offering 3 bars of soap – (1) Shampoo Bar and/or (2) Soaps of your choice – $8 each – $24 total in value. Yay!
- The giveaway is open to those who are my subscribers only. If you are not my current subscriber, you must subscribe by using the subscription link for e-mail or RSS. Your e-mail address will NOT be shared with anyone or posted anywhere.
- You must be over 18 years old who lives within US.
- When you fill out the form, I can see your e-mail address; DO NOT leave your e-mail address with your comment unless you enjoy SPAM.
- This giveaway will end at 11:59 PM EST on Friday February 25, 2011.
- One winner will be chosen at random, generated by a random.org, and will be announced on Saturday, February 26, 2011.
- No purchase is necessary to enter the giveaway.
- You must respond within three days after giveaway is closed to be eligible.
- There is no limit as to how many times you can enter. Each comment is one entry.
- If you don’t use one of the ways to enter as below, I will consider it to be SPAM and delete the entry.
- SRP is $24.00
Here is how you can enter and please only leave me a comment related to this product and giveaway:
- Leave a comment here what other products you would like to try from Herban Lifestyle.
- Share this giveaway with a friend and Cc me - karen[at]ecokaren[dot]com
- Follow @herbanlifestyle on Twitter and let me know by adding @ecokarenlee on your tweet.
- Be a fan of Herban Lifestyle on Facebook
- You can also enter by tweeting about the giveaway! Please use @ecokarenlee so that I know you tweeted
- Blog about this giveaway.
- “Share” the giveaway on your facebook wall and make sure to add @ecokaren to your post so I know.
- Add me as a friend or like me on Facebook (ecokaren)
- Follow me on Twitter (ecokarenlee) and say you heard about the giveaway. Again, mention @ecokarenlee so I know.