Christmas is in two days! We’ve covered numerous crafty ways to decorate and make gifts but what if you are not the crafting or the baking type? Or you are running out of time?
Here are some green goodies that you can package in your own creative way and give as a gift basket.
Disclaimer: I am including these photos as reference. I am not suggesting that you buy from Amazon since it would be too late to have them delivered before Christmas anyway but luckily, you can find them at any of your local stores. But if you do buy from here, I will make a few pennies, probably not enough to buy me ethical diamonds for Christmas but maybe a bar of fair trade chocolate bar. Or coffee.
Green Cleaning Supplies
This is one time I’d buy a good long lasting plastic bucket from your local supermarket to create this “Green Cleaning Bucket.” Include the following items and attach a bow on the handle of the bucket.
- Microfiber Mop is great since it picks up dust and dirt from any hard floors. You can wash them and are totally reusable. Of course, you can totally make your own mop using fabric scraps.
- One Gallon of Distilled White Vinegar
- A Box of Baking Soda
- A Box of Washing Soda
- A Box of Borax
- A Bottle of Castile Soap
- Essential Oil
Attach recipes for making dishwashing liquid soap, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent (simply add a cup of Washing Soda, a cup of Borax and grated 1 bar of Ivory Soap or Fels-Naptha and use one Tbsp per load – I’ll post more on this recipe in a couple of weeks but the formula will be the same), and practical uses for white vinegar and baking soda.
They. will. love. you!
Green Kitchen Goodies
Pick up a good sized stainless steel colander or a large mixing bowl to put in the following – but not limited to – essential cooking goodies.
- Organic Flour
- Organic Sugar
- Organic Vanilla Extract – although it might be too late to start making vanilla extract, you can certainly buy the ingredients to make one for your recipients. All you need are Organic Vanilla Beans and Organic Vodka.
- Organic Olive Oil
- Silicone Cooking Gadgets
- Stainless Steel Cooking Gadgets
- Glass Containers
- BPA Free Reusable Water Bottles
- Organic Cotton Tea Towel
- Organic Cotton Cloth Napkins
- Cloth Paper Towels
Green House Tools
Some of the common green household items might not be the first thing on people’s minds to buy for themselves, so, Christmas is a great occasion to help them save money and the planet.
- Recharger Battery Charger
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Smart Strip – turns off the power strip when it detects ghost appliances
- Conserve Socket – a socket that you can plug in one appliance, (i.e. cell phone), and then it turns off when charging is done
- LED light Bulbs
- Energy Audit Gift Certificate
While these items might not be exactly handmade and crafty you can package them creatively. What’s better than helping your recipients save money while saving the planet?
See you tomorrow on our *sniffle* last day of this fun series. I hope you had a great time as I have!
[CC Image via Flickr]