Today’s grey and cold weather just nudged me enough to get the ingredients together and puree my way into blissdom. It didn’t hurt that hubster brought home a half loaf of sourdough bread the other day so the image of toasted croutons soaked in creamylicous soup was haunting me.
There are many recipes for cream of spinach soup but I tweaked this vegan recipe and it doesn’t even taste vegan. Anyone will love this soup. The best part? No fat from cream since there is no dairy!
If you are allergic to cashews, you can leave it out and use extra potato. That works really well when you want creamy soup. Remember my Roasted Cauliflower Potato Soup? It was potatoes that made it creamy.
Vegan Cream of Spinach Soup
2 packed cups of fresh raw organic spinach
2 medium sized organic white potatoes sliced
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3 cups of vegetable broth
1 cup of raw cashews
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp fresh parsley and some for garnish (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Sautee garlic and onions until onion is translucent. Add potatoes, vegetable broth and bring to boil. When it boils, turn down the heat to simmer in medium heat. When potatoes are soft, add spinach, tarragon, paprika, and parsley.
2. Turn off the heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
3. While the soup is cooling, toast a couple of slices of sourdough bread and cut them in cubes and set aside.
4. Add cashews. Puree or blend until smooth. You can add more cashews if you want thicker soup.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste and add the crouton and garnish with parsley if desired.
6. Eat until it’s gone.
Me: Stop eating before it gets pureed! It’s not done yet.
Hubs: Don’t puree mine. I like it just the way it is.
He finishes two bowls before it gets pureed.
Then, he has two bowls of the original intended Cream of Spinach Soup without speaking a word…until,
Hubs: You should make a HUGE pot of this. This is great! How come you only made this much?
Me:That’s because you had 2 bowls before I had a chance to finish the soup!
Hubs: Why did you let me eat it before you pureed it????? Make more. A HUGE pot!
So moral of the story is don’t let anyone come into the kitchen when you are making this because you won’t get to make the final “HUGE POT” worthy creamy soup ; they’ll want to eat it before it even makes it to that step.
And that would defeat the purpose of this recipe.