Is it hot enough for ya? It is going to be HOT HOT HOT in NY today and tomorrow. I’m keeping myself low key and sewing a quilt for a friend’s daughter who’s leaving for college. Yeah, not exactly what I want to think about – a blanket – but after making my son’s quilt when he went to college, I thought this would be a cool gift to give her when she leaves this Fall. I’ll post the tutorial when I’m done. It’s coming out really nicely. I’m using all her favorite shirts and an old pair of jeans – yes, jeans! – she loved.
But to help me stay cool, I made a pan of Watermelon Granita. And because it turned out so delicious, I want to share the recipe with you.
Watermelon Granita Recipe
- 4 C of Pureed Watermelon
- Simple Sugar Syrup – in sweetness you want, depending on how sweet your fruit is.
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Mix the above ingredients in a glass baking pan and freeze for an hour.
- Then, rake the mixture with a fork.
- Then, put it back in the freezer for an hour. Rake. Freeze. Rake…about three times.
- Do this until the whole pan is soft crunchy consistency, not slushy. If you don’t rake and freeze, you’ll end up with just s solid block of ice.
Pssst…you can add some vodks or gin if you are serving to non-minors. Makes a great party drink/dessert.
You can use any kind of fruits for Granita: lemon juice (add some lemon zest for extra zing), strawberry, any kind of melon, pineapple, and even coffee (great for iced coffee!)