The green or eco-friendly movement is in complete swing and has turned extremely popular when it comes to home décor. Most homeowners feel that they can take pleasure of the functional fashion but at the same time staying eco-friendly in the flooring, furniture and just everything in between. Amid the various items which are turning green, it is the roof that has turned into an excellent place for getting started with the eco-friendly renovations. There are countless perks for a person, his wallet and of course their neighbors.
Another eco-friendly remodel, cabinet refacing as a kitchen remodeling solution can save big bucks and the planet as well. The process includes laminating the existing cabinet boxes and only replacing the doors and drawers. Using up to 75% less materials than replacing the cabinet boxes, hence less going to the landfill.”, states Linda Fennessy, Public Relations with Kitchen Magic.
Explore the Plentiful Benefits
Green roofs are equally important for a homeowner as well as the society at large. Irrespective of how green conscious a person is, a part of their brain will ask “will this actually benefit them?” Well, the answer is this will benefit one’s budget largely in the future. Though the initial installation cost of green roofs is a little high it is worth it.
- These roofs create an insulation layer for the home which means a homeowner will use minimal insulation on the roofs and use less energy for heating and cooling the home. A green roof indeed can help in reducing the cooling cost by at least 25% only during the summer. These savings can be massive when it adds up.
- Secondly, it offers to soundproof. This might not appear as a big perk yet if there is immense air traffic in the area, one will experience the perk soon of partial soundproofing as well that green roofs offer.
- The next benefit is that of aesthetic appeal. Initially, this may appear strange but green roofs can make a home the “talk of the town”. Everyone adores details that are beautiful and unique.
- Last but not least, green roofs will help one in reducing the roof drains which they have while in some cases can eliminate it completely. This though may not appear as a big perk yet with regards to cleaning these drains, one will definitely be overjoyed for not having to clean them. To know more, visit Patriot Roofing & Construction.
All said about how green roofs can benefit homeowners now let’s take a look at how it can actually benefit the society.
- It is quite obvious that one is saving money on the cost of their home energy which is a green advantage for all as it will finally mean that one is burning lesser crude oils. It means fewer greenhouse gases, that is perfect for all.
- A big benefit of installing green roofs is it will impact the “Urban Heat Island Effect”. It means that should an urban area possess a higher number of green roofs; the real heat island effect will be lowered. It will result in reduced costs for cities especially when they try in meeting greenhouse gas reductions.
- Green roofs can help in creating jobs for a good number of industries, as green roof utilizes plants, substrate, roofing membranes, drainage, and construction. These will open doors for end number of industries thereby creating jobs for all interested in these industries.
- A green roof will also offer the added advantage to lower the cost which is required for handling the effects resulting from stormwater. These days the majority of the green roofs have been specially designed for using stormwater which means there will be minimal runoff from green roofs which will fill up storm sewers.
- Last but not least, green roofs help to manufacture clean oxygen. In fact with the higher number of green areas and forests being destroyed, the requirement for plants for producing oxygen continues to develop. Offering a roof which is capable of producing oxygen will be an excellent means of ensuring that the planet remains green and healthy for years to come.
Vital Facts About Green Roofs- Extensive and Intensive
Green roofs often known as living roofs are roofs of the building which is completely or partially covered with vegetation. Green roof installation has become commonplace these days in cities and beyond. Resting on one’s preference and budget, the roof can be extensive that needs no maintenance or the intensive roof-top garden which requires regular maintenance yet makes for an amazing amenity space exclusively for employees. These are the two broad varieties of green roofs with each boasting various benefits and features for the concerned citizen. The extensive is a space that is absolutely non-creational and hosts sustainable biotic communities of plants, grasses, herbs and other forms of natural succulents. Generally, these are planted into layers of shallow soil that covers a part of the surface of the roof or in solo plant pots. Then they are allowed in developing naturally in a dry and exposed environment that encourages growth. This form of structure generally is preferred in smaller spaces that are not accessible generally for social or alternative uses. The intensive variety is comparatively a more costly choice and needs more planning, knowledge, and commitment to constructing it effectively. Generally, these roofs are designed having creation in mind, this can help in accommodating individuals mixing amid assorted living organisms and plants. The whole surface will be covered in deeper soil compared to that in case of an extensive green roof project and often will house plants of bigger species and also trees in a couple of instances.
The bottom line is, it is indeed a fact that the most vital purpose of a roof is in acting as the barrier against the natural elements and weather, green roofs have created an absolutely diverse and new dimension in this arena. The truth is, green roofs can provide much more than mere shelter and possess the potential of assisting in an array of tasks which also includes offering safe habitats for animals and plants alike and also offering energy for one’s utilities. These roofs can also help in collecting water for the surrounding gardens and thus possess the potential for making a worthy contribution towards the well-being of the environment. Hurry, install these special roofs right away and enjoy untold benefits.