Central America is a beautiful place to visit and a huge draw for tourist annually. If you are on a budget, the best destination in this part of the world is Honduras.
Honduras gives you the beauty of the tropical Caribbean, the rich Garifuna culture of the area, and it will not break the bank. There are actually some very reasonable ways to travel to Honduras.
Research before you go
As with any country, there are a few places you would not want to travel in Honduras. Just as the United States has areas that are troubled with gangs and unsavory activities, Central America has it’s troubled spots.
However, for the most part, Honduras is a tropical paradise. As long as you know where to travel, you will have no worries.
Photo credit/site https://pixabay.com/en/pyramids-mayan-ruins-chichen-itza-2803447/
Beautiful and affordable
The Northern coast is famous for natural beauty. La Ceiba is a destination that many people flock to. This area is very affordable, and there are many options to allow you to customize your trip. For example, you may opt to stay in a hostel which is considerably less money than a hotel. You may also choose to rent a cabin. If you are traveling in a group, a cabin with up to 4 bunks may be just what you are looking for. Travel light and have your luggage delivered to you. This allows you more options for getting to your destination. You can even arrange to have it shipped back home at the end of your trip.
Embrace the culture
When Americans go on vacation, we seem to have a preconceived notion that we have to eat, sleep, and live as we do at home. When you are traveling to Central America, you will find their lifestyle is different from yours. This is their home, and they are accustomed to making the most of it. To save money and enjoy a true Central American experience, live as they do. Instead, be open to trying new things. For example, instead of eating at a restaurant, try a local cafeteria. Enjoy low prices and traditional foods like “pastelitos” and “baleadas” from famous Cobel’s Cafeteria. Cobel’s is well known for their breakfasts.
In the evening, it is not unusual to find food vendors on the beach. They serve their authentic meals such as baleadas which is (warm wheat flour tortillas) topped with refried beans, cheeses, avocado, chicken, pork or a local favorite “chorizo”.
In Honduras, you do not have to spend a fortune renting a car or taking a cab. The most popular form of transportation is walking. However, using a taxi is very inexpensive. The charge is per person, and it usually equals less than $2.00 per trip. The taxi can pick up a total of four people while in route. This is a great way to meet the locals, see the sights, and save a bundle. There are also shuttle services available between popular destinations.
Money saving tips
- Check your bill carefully. Some establishments add the tip directly to your bill. If you are not watching, you could tip your server twice.
- Use cash. The credit card and debit card fees in Honduras are costly.
- Take care of your currency exchange before you go. There are money changers at the borders, but they charge hefty fees.
- Download apps to help you with the currency and the language. Take your time and be sure you know what you are paying for and how much it costs.
- Consider backpacking and camping while you are there. The weather is great, and there is no better way to enjoy the tropics.
- Shop for travel packages before you go. Make your purchases online and compare the adventures.
Most popular attractions in Honduras
Honduras is popular for many things. When you are planning your travels, learn which attractions are where. Then shop that area for the best deals on food, lodging, and fun. Here are some popular things to do on your Central American trip:
- Visit the Mayan ruins
- Go on a zipline adventure in the wilds of Honduras
- Visit the world’s second largest coral reef
- See a wide variety of wildlife in the rainforests, pristine lagoons, and sea
- Go scuba diving in Roatan. See shipwrecks, seawalls, and marine life.
- Go whitewater rafting or kayaking at Pico Bonito.
No matter what your idea of fun it, you will find it in Central America. No where else can you experience this natural beauty at such an affordable price. Once you go, you will return again and again.